Char-Grilled Apples On Cinnamon Toasts
This simple, scrumptious dessert is best made with an enriched bread such as brioche, but any light sweet bread will do.
4 sweet, dessert apples
Juice of ½ lemon
4 individual brioches or muffins
60ml/4 tbsp melted butter
30ml/2 tbsp golden caster sugar
5ml/1 tsp ground cinnamon
Whipped cream or Greek-style yogurt, to serve
1. Core the apples and use a sharp knife to cut them into 3-4 thick slices. Sprinkle the apple slices with lemon juice and set them aside.
2. Cut the brioches or muffins into thick slices. Brush the slices with melted butter on both sides.
3. Mix together the caster sugar and ground cinnamon in a small bowl to make the cinnamon sugar. Set aside.
4. Place the apple and brioche slices on a medium-hot barbecue and cook them for about 3-4 minutes, turning once, until they are beginning to turn golden brown. Do not allow to burn.
5. Sprinkle half the cinnamon sugar over the apple slices and brioche toasts and cook for a further minute on the barbecue, until the sugar is sizzling and the toasts are a rich golden brown.
6. To serve, arrange the apple slices over the toasts and sprinkle them with the remaining cinnamon sugar. Serve hot, with whipped cream or Greekstyle yogurt, if liked.